Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Mixed Media.... Using Tea Bags.... Stencils and Liquitex....

 
  
This is my third year being involved with the fabulous creating inspired by Creative Jumpstart
and for this mixed media challenge - I  started with an idea and it took on a life of its own!
 
Tea bag dresses, printing with all kinds of things.....


 
Saved a couple of used teabags which I took apart while wet...


 And let dry on a tissue.  The Lipton's tag stayed attached, but not sure if yet if it will get used


 The Challenge is to use household items/ inspired by the techniques / and or use the sponsor's products.... being LIQUITEX
lqlogoblack_500X250
 
I've got some fabulous Liquitex Gesso... and it formed a good part of my project along with a stencil, and weeeeell, I didn't have gelli plates (shown with fabulous monoprinting techniques from Julie Fei Fan Balzer)  so kinda made my own with a cloth inside a plastic bag (which was a great suggestion by one of the other participants)...it worked a treat!

 

Spread some gesso and pressed the stencil into it.  I wanted something with a tiny pattern....

 
 
because it was printed on the tea bags..

 
 
with a follow up with black...

 
 
I totally loved the end result... had an inkling by now that these tea bag papers would end up as little dresses.....

 
 
YEP... worked! (big grin)!
Now to decide what to do with them!
 
 
Found this 'Barbie' butterfly wing amongst the girls old toys...  so its going to be great as a stencil!

 
 
pressed what paint was left on the wing into 12x12 cardstock


 
I've got to say, I still had no idea what I was doing... but it sure was fun!


 
 
Then pressed what was left on the plastic bag onto the cardstock...



Kept playing with it..... and 'stuff' started to happen....

 
 
Sprayed some Tattered Angel's Chalkboard (Concord) and added the little teabag dresses, cut out and adhered some butterflies, stamped some butterflies with black paint and Liquitex gesso..


It just felt like Pandora's box opening... just didnt know what was going to come out of it....


 
 
A touch of clear sequins... and got rid of the Lipton tags... but still used the strings as waist ties

 
 
Random folds...


 
Thrilled with the end result...
 
 
 
Creative JumpStart 2014
 
organised and run by the talented  Nathalie Kalbach
 
 
Cant wait to get stuck into the next challenge... hmmmn....its got me thinking!
 
 


10 comments:

Lizzyc said...

Wow this looks amazing, it must have been fun just letting lose and seeing what happened.. stunning end result!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wowwwwwwwwww! This is amazing Mandy! I loveeeeeeeeee the colors, the butterflies and what you did with those bags!!!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

oh this is lovely. I like it so much better without the garish yellow of the tag. I loved watching the process. You have inspired me to get a little creative with a tea bag. I certainly have enough of them laying around the house....I wonder what I could do with leftover coffee grinds?

Deb said...

WOW! Mandy, this looks amazing. Loving your use of the tea bags.......very clever.

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, wow, wow! You are so creative! This is gorgeous! My brain doesn't even think this way! Seriously!

Dolly B said...

This looks fantastic! I have used tea bags and stamped on them before, but your little dresses are just awesome. Loved it and it looks like you had fun
Mary

Jamie Lynn said...

Really Great spread & nice How To Post!!!

here from CJS2014 LiquidTex Giveaway page

lehtipollo said...

This is truly fabulous! What a great teabag technique.

Nathalie Kalbach said...

stunning and unique idea- love this. Thank you for being part of CJS 2014!

Debbie Stip said...

Love what you did with the tea bags, they really make cute dresses on this cool background! I also joined CJS this year and am also glad to see pieces like this to inspire me even more, thank you! ~Debbie