Monday, 20 July 2015

Sunday Sketches

 
 
 
 
I love  getting comments about the curiosity of using older books and here are my thoughts....
The one thing I did have to get past when working in a vintage - or even antique book is the thought of altering it from its original state.  It was very hard at first because it seems to form a piece of 'history' - this is true.    There are some who might think it may be destroying a book, but that's very different to what I feel and not sure I'd use that word.  My definition of that would be tearing it's pages out, or pulling its cover off to use elsewhere or use the pages for different projects and/or what's not needed - very very unfortunately thrown away. Wouldn't it be better though if an old unwanted book does get used in some way?  It also has to do with being emotionally attached to a book too.  There is no way I would alter a book in my own collection with generational or sentimental reasoning.  The books I alter, I buy specifically with a purpose in mind.  They are kept in its whole form,(I'm unable at this time to tear out pages)  and lovingly given new purpose other than sitting in a forgotten dusty box or shelf somewhere just waiting till its time to come to be thrown away as 'old and dusty, smelly and unwanted.  It's new form is loved, often remembered, given pride of place and the owner gets to feel the old beautiful book in their own hands. A new appreciation has begun even for a new generation in this very throw-away world.
 
For my daughter Hannah who works so hard to become what she has always wanted to do and living away from home, too often second guesses her abilities, this little quote book will be two things... a *little light when she is feeling low
*something she will treasure for the rest of her life and hopefully passed on to whoever may need it after her.
 


 
Sometimes I wonder if its best left without colour?
(now who's second guessing!!!)
 
 
 
 
Watercolour pencils and waterwell brush
 
Here you will find several links to vintage books I've altered for various purposes.
 
 
 
Sunday Sketches
Find it HERE
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Join in on these too!
 
Photography..
  
 
 
and....
 
 
the criteria is anything to do with books!
 
 
xx
 
 
 

16 comments:

Wanda said...

Thanks so much for the information on Vintage books and this type of art I was not at all familiar with. Since I've joined several art group on line, and can't believe how much this type of art is uses. It's very unique and lovely and so many different ways it can be interpreted.

I think your pages are vey lovely.... I think I prefer the color, but like them both. I looked at some of your previous work and they are just very wonderful.

Christine said...

Lovely pages, what a great gift!

Lizzyc said...

I love your altered pages in the old books.. In my opinion using an old book and even taking the pages out and using them on a scrap layout is re cycling a product that might have been destined to the recycled bin or sitting deteriorating untouched gathering dust and insects.. The books I use are from the life line book sale that happens up here once a year. The books are donated so they are unwanted by their previous owners.. Creating with this old books gives me pleasure and they are a precious embellishment to use. Keep creating your amazing books, they will be loved and looked at.. A finger print of your art left for eternity..

Lizzy Hill said...

I bought a couple of books to alter - mainly cos of your inspiration.....but I can't quite bring my self to use them! I have some skungy [how's THAT for a word??!!!] books I picked up for 50c that I use to rip up. They're really yucky, so I don't feel bad about that. I WILL get my books going when they right project comes along, I think:) I LOOOOVE what you do with books. It's amazing:) LOVE that desk. Glad I"m not studying any more, though@@@

Karen Maggio said...

Love the color, it draws you in and creates a different feeling to your artwork :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I am like you and use books that I have never read that I have picked up at someone's yard sale! LOL!! I loveeeeeeeeee this page!!! LOVING the colors, the dresser and that quote!!!!!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Wonderful pages -- I also use books as journals - but I always have to gesso the pages when I want to skech something .. I have to much troubles to sketch directly over the text.. but I will practice this ... looks great what you make!
Happy new week!
xxx
Susi

Sharon Fritchman said...

Mandy, I absolutley love that you use old books to work your magic in. It is amazing to see you do this and create beautiful works of art that mean something to you and your family! I really like these 2 pages and I am sure you daughter does, too! And I love them in color, too! Thanks so much for your visit to my blog! Hugs!

Tinna Sjoeberg said...

That must be something to receive a book
like that from you! :)
When is it filled and go over to Hannah?
Love the desk sketch - looks a bit antique :))

Have a beautiful day and week!
Tinna ✐

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

its book art :D which comes in many forms and I only have problems with if its a rare book, not printed in the thousands other than that it ca and will get the scissor treatment :p

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Stunning worki!! Lovely coloring!!!!

Deb said...

I'm sure your altered books will be treasured for generations. I love the little study you have created. I love the colour version BUT the B&W drawing looks AMAZING on the book print. I have lots of old books from my childhood and can't bring myself to alter them but don't really have a problem "recycling" books that don't have a sentimental value. BUT in saying that, I have all of these wonderful old books sitting in a cupboard and who knows if the next generation will want them.........maybe I should get them out and enjoy playing with them in some way......after all they are my books. hmmmmmm got me thinking now.

Audrey Pettit said...

I think what you are doing with the old books is beautiful, my friend! You are creating beauty and love from something old and unwanted, and creating a keepsake that will be treasured forever! Much better than being forgotten..... and I absolutely LOVE the color!

Alexandra said...

I just loved your post here on vintage books and why you are drawn to use them in your work. It's great getting to know you more and I love your piece for this past week. It's wonderful along with a great quote! :)

Grantham Lynn said...

Great post.

Mascha said...

I've visit all your book-posts not only one now... I'm fascinated, what you do with the books and give them a new life.
It's a good way :-) and all your artworks are so creative, personally and authentic (not only decorative, like I often see).
Thanks for sharing, have a nice weekend