Friday, 10 August 2012

Texture Paints and Mists..

If you love playing with wet media, or would like to have a go at playing with it... here's a little step tutorial to try which is created for Scrap Therapy

I love framing my LO's, one way or another - I'll manage it somehow on most of my LO's :lol: I'm not sure why, maybe it just gives it some sort of balance or finish? I really dont know - it just kinda evolves.
Here I've used WRMK's Cherry Cardstock as the outside frame (I always cut my middles out to use for something else and to take some weight out of the LO :wink: ) The background paper is Authentic Carefree Jovial Paper and is cut down a little on each side to show a thin frame of the red. And the little sewn down inside frame is Authentique Carefree Content Paper I've distressed all the edges :P
Image



Step One
Find some scraps and cut into rough little rectangles and stick down on the paper
Image



Step Two
Apply texture paste (this is fabulous stuff!!) with a spatula (so fun to play with!)
Image

Image



Step Three
Time to use those wonderful Ranger Dabbers!!! I've used Adirondack Snow Cap to rub over the texture paste (once it had dried) and then once the Dabber paint had dried, I misted with Perfect Pearls Kiwi. Its really hard to capture the gorgeous glossimer/pearlised coverage it gives, but look through the photos here and I may have captured it once or twice. It gives a lovely sepia/nature tinge to the area.
Image



Step Four
For the smaller inside frame, I've cut a 25cm square and then created the frame by cutting the inside of the square out by leaving the frame about 1cm wide. I cut it roughly because I knew I would distress it, but if you dont want distressing, you might want to be a little more precise in your measurements. Out with the sewing machine with black thread and using zigzag, sew down the frame. If you dont want to sew - use one of these Tim Holtz Die Picks and make zigzag holes and join the dots with a black marker :P
Image



Step Five
Rough up the distressed edges so the red coloured reverse side of the sewn frame can be seen :wink: It should look like this below:
Image



Step Six
Time to add the photo and embellishments. Here I've used three Prima Poppy Flowers and leaves, Prima Resin Mushrooms, Apricot lace trim from Webster Fabric Ribbons set and cut out various sizes of butterflies from Authentique Carefree Relaxed Paper (this is fabulous paper because the amount of butterflies are endless - and a cheap alternative!) The Alpha and little words are Authentique Alpha Elements
Image



Aha! here you can kind of see that lovely pearlised misting! :P :P   Its much more lovelier in real life
Image


Image



6 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

I LOVE your step by steps....it's always soo interesting & I always learn stuff...gonna have to get me some of that texture paste!!! Love the pop of red here, too...NICE to see more posts from you, too:):):)

Lizzyc said...

This looks amazing and thanks for sharing the steps to creating it!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeee how you put this together!!! This is GORGEOUS!! I loveeeeeeeeee the RED!!!!

glorygirl said...

Amazing, Mandy! Your tutorial posts are my favorite as I always look at your pages and wonder how you did it!!! Beautiful work!!! Thanks for sharing the "how to"!

Bente Fagerberg said...

Looks gorgeous. Thanks for the step by step!

Lizzy Hill said...

Hellloooooo....we crossed messages...so you are 'more' on board.GOOOODDDD!!!! I've just done the Scrap Therapy sketch....yay for me:):):) It was FUN, too....have a good weekend [1/2 over already, I know:(:(:, but :):):)anyway!!!!