Saturday, 15 January 2011

FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER.....

Poor Tasmania has been hit by flooding and gale force winds now. And Wednesday and Thursday nights were so bad that  our big tree at the back of of the house cracked vertically to the ground in three places which threatens the back of the house and for the first time in our house ever, we felt very unsafe.

 One of the cracks from behind the tree looking down from standing on a four foot rockwall
The other two cracks are at the front of the tree... not a safe place to stand and take photos!
One of our garden paths just filling up..

The giant poplar tree at the side of the house and the force of the wind.
(this tree is safe)

  It was still too dangerous to get out and cut it down the cracked tree at the back so by Friday morning the our city's two big dams had overflowed and bridges were being closed.... and we packed up the car, drove through slightly flooded highways and massive potholes, wind, fog and water spray and got to Coles Bay on the EastCoast where the weather did a big turn around and it feels like the tropics.  Its so lovely to have this reprieve.

So today we've been swimming at the beach


So everything looked up and even though we dont know whats going on at our house back home...
Its just what we needed after losing Cosmo on Monday too.

However I've just got a phonecall to say that my studio which was only slightly flooded on Thursday and I managed to clean up and salvage the few things affected.... has now completely flooded out in one section.   Dh is going back tomorrow to see what can be done with the tree and now to sort out the studio.  The hardest hit room unfortunately is where we store all our massive amounts of sets and costumes and it was bad enough on Thursday, but apparently just couldnt hold the amount of water that still came down. 

Sigh.... however....
We are not as bad as Queensland and I havent lost focus or perspective of that.
And as many times I've been asked if I've donated...
and my answer has always been (as with the Victorian Bushfires last year)
'When they start asking for dontations to help the animals'
They are secondary to saving human life and I know that people in the end will be okay....
I have faith in that....
but the animals.....
they need help and so do the people who help them.

And if you haven't seen this... then this is the epitomy of why I feel like I do...
Just like Sam the Koala last year.....

As reported in the Herald Sun 
Ray Cole, a father of five, was cheered by onlookers but threatened with arrest by police when he waded into turgid waters to pluck the drowning joey to safety.

Mr Cole said he "couldn't stand there and watch our coat of arms just drown".
"I could just see its little head bobbing up and down and I knew it didn't stand a chance," he said.

"So I went in and by the time I got to it, it had been hit by a log and its eyes were the only things still out of the water.
"I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and turned it over and carried it back to shore."
"Last time I saw it, people had wrapped a blanket around it and it was back on its feet."

RSPCA Queensland inspector Travis Cooper said native animals would be the most likely to survive the floods.
"They can swim so have more chance to get of danger," he said.
"It's not as easy for domestic pets or livestock that can't escape paddocks or houses at risk of floodwaters."
The organisation had to evacuate all animals at its Fairfield headquarters because of the flooding. Volunteers have stepped up to act as foster carers.
(You can read the whole article on the link above the photo.)

Here's a link if you can donate to
Queensland RSPCA

And and and....
HAPPY 16TH BIRTHDAY HANNAH!!!!
XXXXXOOOOOXXXXX

15 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

*sigh* Mandy.... I am sooooooooooooo soooooooooooooo sooooooooooooo sorry to hear about your home!!! And that man saving that joey...wow wow wow ... what an amazing heart he has! {{{big hugs}}} to you my dear friend! :)

Jolanda said...

This is terrible,we follow it on the news.....
Hope you're oke and the people who take care of the animals are amazing!!!
Take care!!!!

Tanya Tahir said...

oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about this Mandy! Stay safe x

Lisa K said...

OMG - what is happening in thix crazy country right now?
I hope your stuff isnt damaged and I too struggle to think of the animals lost in these tragedies....it breaks your heart!

Jenneke said...

Oh Mandy, I'm sooo sorry to hear about your house....
Hope you'll be able to safe the costumes and the rest of your things!!!

Enjoy your time at Coles Bay!

TAKE CARE!

XXXJenneke

Melissa said...

I am so heart sad about your Props, they are important to you.yes you can make new ones, but it still hurts.
I so hope that the tree comes down easily and nothing gets broken on it's way down.
On a Happier note, the beach looks positively inviting, and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH....hope you have had a beautiful day!!
I hope your stay is full of relaxation and rejuvenation.

xx Mel

Julie said...

Enjoy your time away Missy. You need it after the past week.

Happy b'day Hannah.

Lea said...

Oh Mandy, so sorry about your Cosmo and the props and the tree!!! I'm glad are able to get away for a little while!

Cathy said...

So sorry to hear your sad news about Cosmo and the flood damage to your property Mandy. I hope the damage isn't too bad... Hope you are enjoying your little break... take care!

Jasmine S said...

Mandy I am so sorry to hear about your house and the damage and also about your pussy cat. Being an animal lover I always think of them during these events and have donated to the RSPCA as they do so much for our animals. Your picture of the joey is just amazing as I hadn't seen that one. Thanks for sharing with us and I hope things turn around for you.

Jocelyn said...

Oh sweet friend...I am so sorry to hear that your home has been so damaged!!!!! What a scary time for everyone...


I cried when I read about the animals and I am a monthly donator to our ASPCA and I will be making a donation to yours!!!!

I so wish there were more that I could do!!!! I hold you close to my heart and in my prayers!!!

Jeanet said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your house and studio and that tree! Hope not all will be lost! Hang in there!
Happy birthday to Hannah! And have a nice stay!

Nay and Gilly said...

Just read your post about the joey, I lost my Guniea pig Coco in a storm just before christmas, people seem to forget about all the animals in floods, but sometimes they need more help than people, thanks for the link. Gill.

BrigitteG said...

Oh my goshhh Mandy...had nooo idea you have experienced Floods as well in your area... hope all will be stored back soon. it is soo sad to see what's happening around Australia atm... ..sometimes we want to help but we don't know how or where to so thanks for the links...

kathie said...

I'm so sorry about the flooding Mandy! I saw the article about the joey and how they were saying the guy shouldnt have risked his life by wading out there to get it. How you anyone have just stood by though? That's what I found myself wondering. It would haunt you forever if you just stood and did nothing, wouldn't it?